10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- April 25, 2014 - 5:25 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. OBAMA: LACK OF RESOLVE IN ISRAEL, PALESTINIAN TALKS
The president says the halt in negotiations underscore how neither side has shown the political will to make tough decisions that would sustain Mideast peace talks.
2. NUMBER OF U.S. MILITARY SUICIDES IS DOWN
But at the same time, there's an increase in Army National Guard and Reserve members who take their own lives.
3. REPORT DESCRIBES AID TO NORTH KOREA DRYING UP
International donors are sending their money to countries with less political baggage, and many rural children are poorly nourished.
4. NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL PLAYERS VOTING ON UNION
The results of the vote will be sealed during appeals — and that process could take weeks, months or even years.
5. WHO'S SPEAKING AT NRA'S ANNUAL CONVENTION
Several potential Republican presidential candidates are on tap, at a time when the gun lobby may be stronger than ever.
6. NEVADA RANCHER LOSES SOME SUPPORTERS
Republican politicians who had rallied around Cliven Bundy for standing up to the feds are now backing away after his comments about blacks and slavery.
7. HOW PEOPLE REMEMBER CHICAGO DOCTOR SLAIN IN KABUL
Relatives say Dr. Jerry Umanos — one of three Americans shot to death at a hospital — loved Afghanistan and was dedicated to helping needy kids everywhere.
8. WHERE FATAL SHOOTINGS BY POLICE ARE UNDER SCRUTINY
After an unprecedented investigation, 27 officers across Jamaica are facing murder charges.
9. U.S. HEALTH WATCHDOGS APPROVE ALTERNATIVE TO PAP SMEAR
The decision means drugmaker Roche can now market the genetic test as an option for cervical cancer screening.
10. PHELPS LAUNCHES COMEBACK, PLACES 2ND IN 100-METER BUTTERFLY
Up next for the 18-time Olympic gold medalist, who specializes in middle and longer distances, is the 50-meter freestyle — a sprinting event.
© 2017 Star Tribune