Law enforcement officials are expected to reveal more details this week about the nearly 27-year-old mystery of what happened to Jacob Wetterling.
Federal and state investigators have said little about the case so far, other than to confirm that Danny Heinrich, an early suspect in Wetterling's 1989 disappearance who is awaiting trial on federal child pornography charges, led investigators to the boy's grave on a Paynesville farm last week.
On Monday, a spokesperson for the Wetterlings said the family likely will meet with media in the coming days to talk about the case that shocked and saddened a generation of Minnesotans.
Jacob Wetterling was 11 years old when he was abducted near his home in St. Joseph, Minn.
Patty Wetterling posted a new statement Monday on the Facebook page of the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center. She encouraged people wanting to comfort her grieving family to say a prayer, play with their children and generally "create joy."
"The Wetterlings are deeply grieving and are pulling our family together. We will be eager to talk to media as soon as we are able. Everyone wants to know what they can do to help us. Say a prayer. Light a candle. Be with friends. Play with your children. Giggle. Hold hands. Eat ice cream. Create joy. Help your neighbor. That is what will bring me comfort today."
It was the hope that Jacob was alive and might someday return home that sustained the family and close friends for all those years — and why now "it's so maddening that that isn't the ending we got," said Alison Feigh, program manager for the Resource Center and one of Jacob's middle school classmates. "None of it's fair."
There's been a global outpouring of shared grief for the family, Feigh said, including from other families of missing children. "People hold this story in their hearts," she said. "They're reaching out in compassion and love and support."