Makes 8 (2 1/2 cups sauce).
Note: This is also known as Welsh rarebit, and is richly flavored with sharp Cheddar and beer. The sauce is also good over toast. This was a standby on the menu at Somebody’s House restaurant in Duluth, which Beatrice and Richard Ojakangas ran. She tells the story in her memoir, “Homemade.”
• 2 c. (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• 2 tsp. cornstarch
• 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
• 1/2 c. flat beer
• 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Grilled 1-in. thick Italian or French bread or 8 large hamburger buns
• 8 grilled meat patties, done to your liking (beef, turkey or vegetable)
• Slices of fresh tomatoes
• Sprigs of fresh rosemary, thyme or parsley, for garnish
In a bowl, toss cheese with the cornstarch and mustard.
Combine beer and Worcestershire sauce in a saucepan and heat until simmering. Stir in cheese mixture until cheese is melted. Add the black pepper.
Top the bread with a grilled burger and a slice of fresh tomato. Spoon sauce over meat and garnish with a sprig of herb.