Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Makes about 38 meatballs.
Note: Chicken meatballs stand in for wings in this twist on the traditional game-day favorite. Panko breadcrumbs are bigger and lighter than the traditional crumb, which could be substituted. Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo wings sauce is usually found with other hot sauces at the supermarket. From Meredith Deeds.
• 3/4 c. panko breadcrumbs (see Note)
• 1/4 c. milk
• 2 lb. ground chicken
• 2/3 c. Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo wings sauce, divided (see Note)
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 eggs
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, melted
• Celery sticks, for serving
• Blue Cheese Dressing (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the panko and milk, and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the ground chicken, 1/3 cup of Buffalo sauce, onion, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and let chill for 30 minutes.
Form into 1 1/2-inch balls and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
In large bowl, combine the melted butter with the remaining 1/3 cup Buffalo sauce and melted butter. Toss the baked meatballs with the sauce and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.
Nutrition information per 1 meatball with dressing and 1 celery stick:
Calories 75 Fat 6 g Sodium 225 mg
Carbohydrates 2 g Saturated fat 2 g Total sugars 1 g
Protein 4 g Cholesterol 30 mg Dietary fiber 0 g
Exchanges per serving: ½ medium-fat protein, ½ fat.
Blue Cheese Dressing
Makes 1 1/3 cups.
Note: From Meredith Deeds.
•1/3 c. mayonnaise
• 1/3 c. sour cream
• 1/3 c. buttermilk
•1/3 c. crumbled blue cheese, plus more for garnish
• 1 tsp. minced garlic
• 1 tsp. Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo wings sauce, plus more for garnish
• 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with a drizzle of Buffalo sauce and some crumbled blue cheese.