POTATO ROTI CURRY
Note: To easily peel and cube acorn squash, pierce shell in several places with fork and then microwave at high for 2 minutes. Let cool slightly before peeling. Remove skin with a vegetable peeler. Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and chop or dice.. From "Cooking Light Way to Cook Vegetarian."
• 11/4 tsp. salt
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 11/2 tsp. ground turmeric
• 1 tsp. ground ginger
• 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
• 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
• 1 tbsp. canola oil
• 11/2 c. chopped onion
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 c. (1-in.) cubed, peeled Yukon gold potatoes (about 11/2 lb.)
• 3 c. (1-in.) cubed peeled acorn squash (about 3/4 lb.) (see Note)
• 1 c. chopped red bell pepper
• 2 c. water
• 1/2 c. light coconut milk
• 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
Combine salt, cumin, turmeric, ginger, allspice and crushed red pepper; set aside.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add spice mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add potato, squash and bell pepper, stirring to coat with spice mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Stir in water and coconut milk, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.