Top 10 NFL Super Bowl demands
- Blog Post by: Molly Priesmeyer
- June 11, 2014 - 1:59 PM
Earlier this week, the Star Tribune broke the story about the 153-page laundry list of requests the NFL presented to the city of Minneapolis before it could be awarded the 2018 Super Bowl.
Some of the highlights include:
1. Free police escorts for team owners.
2. Free portable cell phone towers if the signal is too weak at hotels.
3. 35,000 free parking spaces.
4. Free presidential suites at top hotels.
5. Free access to two "top-quality" bowling venues and three top-quality 18-hole golf courses.
6. 20 pages of free advertising space in daily newspapers.
7. Hotels housing teams must advertise the NFL Network a full year before the Super Bowl.
8. The NFL shall receive the stadium's and/or host clubs' percentage of revenues generated by the sales of food and beverages during the Super Bowl Period.
9. Prior to kick-off, Prince must release 1,000 white doves outfitted in NFL-trademarked football jerseys, to be sold at a later NFL-approved post-game tailgate party at no cost to the NFL.
10. Free snow protection shield, designed like an NFL helmet and covering a 2-square-mile area, to be erected two weeks prior to the Super Bowl.
Ok, I made up the last two. But if you read through the 153-page document and the excellent reporting from Mike Kaszuba and Rochelle Olson, the last two don't seem that extraordinary.
Over on Twitter, the story sparked the hashtag #SuperbowlDemands, with people chiming in with absurd demands of their own. (See below for screen grabs of some of the chatter.)
What would you add to the list? Post your own ideas in the comments!
© 2014 Star Tribune