Chart: Gophers' new receiving mix
- November 28, 2013 - 8:24 PM
NEW RECEIVING MIX
The Gophers are trying to replace Derrick Engel, who led the team with 25 catches for 401 yards and five touchdowns before suffering a season-ending knee injury in practice last week. A look at the other receiving options:
• Tight end Maxx Williams ranks second on the team with 19 catches for 330 yards and four touchdowns. He lined up as a slot receiver at times last week against Wisconsin.
• Junior receiver Isaac Fruechte has nine catches for 104 yards this season and is now drawing many of Engel’s assignments.
• Freshman Drew Wolitarsky has eight catches for 109 yards but has been targeted second most on the team to Engel.
• Freshman Donovahn Jones has seven catches for 110 yards along with 14 rushes for 71 yards, mostly on the end-around play known as the “jet sweep.”
• Other receivers who’ve played more sparingly are Logan Hutton, KJ Maye and Jamel Harbison.
© 2014 Star Tribune