News Summary: Disputing errors on a credit report

  • Article by: The Associated Press
  • Associated Press
  • February 11, 2013 - 7:00 PM

ERRORS HAPPEN: A Federal Trade Commission study has found that one in four consumers surveyed discovered an error in at least one of their credit reports from the three major credit bureaus.

WHAT TO DO: Get a copy of your report from the credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Consumers are entitled to one free report every 12 months from each of the credit bureaus.

ASK FOR CORRECTION: If you believe there's an error in your credit report, file a dispute with the credit bureaus. Once a dispute is received, credit bureaus are required to respond within 30 days.

© 2017 Star Tribune