Suicide bombers take toll in attack on Afghan base
- Article by: PAMELA CONSTABLE
- Washington Post
- December 2, 2012 - 7:20 PM
KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - A squad of nine suicide bombers attacked a major U.S.-Afghan air base in the eastern city of Jalalabad just after dawn Sunday, exploding bombs at the front gate and sparking a lengthy firefight with both Afghan and NATO forces inside.
Officials said the attackers killed at least five people before being either shot or blown up by their own explosives. As the battle raged, U.S. assault helicopters fired from overhead. Three Afghan security force members and two civilians died, officials said.
A U.S. spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force, or ISAF, said three foreign troops were wounded.
The Taliban immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, which was reminiscent of a frontal assault on the base last February, when a suicide bombing left nine Afghans dead. The base is a major transport center for the U.S. military in eastern Afghanistan.
One Taliban spokesman, Abdul Balkhi, sent out a series of tweets Sunday that described the attack in great detail. He said two different groups of Taliban had staged it, including six who were wearing U.S. military uniforms and who drove onto the base in a vehicle that they then detonated. Balkhi said that two "enemy aircraft" had been destroyed and that much of the base had been "engulfed in flames."
This triumphant version of events was partially contradicted by a series of competing tweets and e-mails from ISAF spokesmen, who portrayed the assault as far less successful.
Lt. Col. Hagen Messner confirmed that the airfield had been attacked at 6 a.m., but he stated that "no insurgents breached the perimeter." Messner also confirmed that U.S. helicopters were deployed to defend the base, which ISAF officials said was secured soon after the firefight ended.
An official communique from the provincial governor's office in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar Province, said two suicide vehicles had attacked the front gate of the base, followed by three suicide bombers who tried to detonate their explosives but were shot dead by ISAF and Afghan forces.
The governor's office said a total of nine attackers, three Afghan security force members and two civilians died. Although Taliban attacks have lessened with the onset of winter here, the insurgents have now staged three bold suicide attacks in the past month.
© 2014 Star Tribune