Road and lane closures with their associated detours are not fun for anybody, and this weekend will be a dozy for drivers in the west metro, at least for those who didn't head out of town for MEA weekend.
Both directions of Hwy. 100 through St. Louis Park and Edina will shut down from Friday night to Monday morning. The good news is that the Minnesota Department of Transportation says this ought to be the last one for the season, and that the entire rebuilding project will be done "within a few week," the agency said.
Further complicating travel is that southbound I-494 through Plymouth and Maple Grove will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday while only one northbound lane will be open between I-394 and Hwy. 55.
That will leave Hwy.169 as the only through north-south route open on the west side of the city.
Further to the west, Hwy. 12 remains closed between Wayzata and Orono for another two weeks while in the south metro drivers will find Cedar Avenue reduced to a single lane in each direction on the Minnesota River bridge.
Traffic generating events include a Timberwolves preseason game Friday night at Target Center. The U.S. Women's National Soccer Team takes on Switzerland Sunday afternoon at U.S. Bank Stadium. And it's Homecoming at the U, so look lots of festivities on campus, including the 6:30 p.m. Friday parade that will travel down University Avenue from 12th Avenue SE. to Oak Street. On Saturday, roads near TCF Bank Stadium will be closed before and after the 11 a.m. game against Rutgers.
Here is your weekend road construction roundup:
1. I-494 in Plymouth/Maple Grove: All southbound lanes closed from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday between the I-694/94/494 interchange and I-394. Northbound will be single lane from I-394 to the Hwy. 55 interchange.
2. Hwy. 12 in Wayzata and Orono: Both directions closed between County Road 112 and County Road 6 for the next two weeks.
3. Hwy. 100 in St. Louis Park: Both directions closed between I-394 and Crosstown Hwy. 62 from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday. Ramps will close at 9 p.m. Friday.
4. County Road 81 in Brooklyn Park: Single lane from 63rd Avenue to West Broadway.
5. I-35W in Mounds View: Lanes narrow in the vicinity of County Road H due to bridge construction. Ramp from southbound 35W to County H is closed.
6. I-694 in Shoreview: Westbound traffic has two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between I-35E and Lexington Avenue.
7. I-35E in the northeast metro: Intermittent lane closures between County E and Main Street.
8. Hwy. 8 in Franconia: Closed between the south junction of Hwy. 95 in Franconia and downtown Taylors Falls.
9. White Bear Avenue in St. Paul: Road work between I-94 to Beech Street and closed to all traffic between Wilson Avenue and 3rd Street.
10. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Occasional lane closures between Century Avenue and Mounds Blvd.
11 Hwy. 36 at Lexington Avenue in Roseville: Eastbound is still using a bypass at Lexington Avenue. Ramps to and from westbound Hwy. 36 to Lexington are open.
12. Hwy. 5 in St. Paul: Right lanes closed from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. daily.
13. Cedar Avenue in Eagan: Both directions reduced to a single lane over the Minnesota River bridge from 8 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday; reduced to two lanes between Diffley Road and Nicols Road. Ramp from westbound Hwy. 13 to northbound Cedar closed.