Tex-Mex Rice Cakes
Makes 14 to 16.
Note: Use leftover rice (make plenty ahead of time) and have this dish ready for dinner or lunch later. From “Weelicious Lunches,” by Catherine McCord.
• 1 c. cooked brown rice
• 1/2 c. whole-wheat breadcrumbs
• 1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
• 3/4 c. frozen corn, defrosted
• 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 2 eggs
• 2 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil for cooking
• For accompaniment: salsa, guacamole or sour cream
Combine brown rice, breadcrumbs, cheese, corn, cilantro and salt in a large bowl, and mix to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
Add the eggs to the rice mixture and thoroughly combine.
Shape about 1/4 cup of the mixture into a patty and set aside. Repeat with remainder of mixture.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?