Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Caramelized Peppers and Onions √
Note: Hearty, juicy and seemingly decadent, this sandwich is packed with veggies and just enough roast beef and cheese to make you feel like you're being bad, even though you're eating healthy. From Meredith Deeds.
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 large white onion, sliced thinly
• 1 red pepper, sliced thinly
• 1 yellow or orange pepper, sliced thinly
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
• 2 tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
• 8 oz. whole-grain baguette, sliced in half crosswise and cut into 4 pieces
• 8 oz. lower-sodium, thinly sliced deli roast beef
• 4 thin slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese or provolone
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onions, and sauté for 6 minutes or until the onions are softened. Add the peppers, garlic, salt and pepper, and continue to cook, stirring frequently for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are lightly browned.
Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, stir together the mustard and mayo, and spread 1 tablespoon on both sides of each piece of baguette. Place 2 ounces of roast beef on each piece and top with 1 slice of cheese and 1/4 of the caramelized onions and peppers. Wrap each sandwich in a piece of parchment paper, then foil. Place them all on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 365 Fat 11 g Sodium 1,274 mg
Carbohydrates 36 g Saturated fat 4 g Calcium 360 mg
Protein 29 g Cholesterol 51 mg Dietary fiber 5 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 2 bread/starch, 3 lean meat, ½ fat.