Sweet Potato and Chickpea Tikka Masala
Note: From “Learn With Betty,” from Betty Crocker.
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger root
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. garam masala
• 1 tsp. ground turmeric
• 1 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-in. cubes (about 2 c.)
• 2 (14.5 oz. each) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
• 1 (15 oz.) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
• 1 (14 oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2 to 4 minutes or until translucent and tender. Stir in ginger root, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, paprika, salt, red pepper and garlic. Cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
Stir in sweet potato, tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Stir in coconut milk. Cook uncovered 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened and thoroughly heated.
Variations/Cauliflower and Chickpea Tikka Masala: Prepare as directed, except substitute 2 cups cauliflower florets for the sweet potato. Decrease cooking time to 16 to 22 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
Chicken Tikka Masala: Prepare as directed but add 1 cup cutup rotisserie chicken with the coconut milk.