Italian Zucchini-Tomato Strata
Note: Plan ahead by preparing the recipe up to the point where it goes into the oven. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and bake as directed. From “Betty Crocker: The Smart Dinner.”
• Cooking spray for baking dish
• 6 c. cubes (1-in.) of day-old Italian or French bread
• 1 1/2 c. (about 6 oz.) shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 c.)
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 medium zucchini, chopped (about 2 c.)
• 2 medium tomatoes, cut into small chunks (1 c.)
• 5 eggs
• 2 egg yolks
• 2 c. whole milk
• 1 tbsp. red pepper sauce
• 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Spray a 2-quart (11- by 17-inch) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Evenly place bread cubes in baking dish. Evenly sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over bread cubes.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Cook onion, garlic, zucchini and tomatoes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Evenly spoon vegetables over bread and cheese.
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolks, milk, pepper sauce, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer baking dish to a wire rack and let strata rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.