Beef Bone Broth
Makes about 3 quarts.
Note: Adapted from "A Good Food Day," by Marco Canora.
• 1 1/2 lb.bone-in beef short rib
• 2 1/2 lb. beef shank or oxtail
• 2 lb. beef knucklebones or neck bones, or a combination of both (or add 1 more lb. beef shank or oxtail)
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp. tomato paste
• 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
• 3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
• 2 onions, halved and peeled
• 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can tomatoes (whole, peeled or diced)
• 1 head garlic, excess skins removed, top chopped off to expose the cloves
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
• 1/4 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms
• 1 tbsp. black peppercorns
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place meat and bones in a roasting pan or on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, turning to coat, then brush all over with tomato paste. Roast until browned, 30 to 35 minutes. (They don't need to cook all the way through but to just develop some color.)
Put roasted meat and bones in a 12-quart stockpot and add vinegar and enough cold water to cover by 3 inches (about 6 quarts). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 3 hours. While simmering, occasionally skim fat and foam from the top using a ladle.
Add all the remaining ingredients. Continue to simmer, uncovered, for at least 3 hours. If using knucklebones, simmer overnight, 9 to 15 hours, so the knucklebones have sufficient time to break down.
Remove meat and bones with a slotted spoon or tongs; reserve meat for another use (such as soup). Pour broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl or containers. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to a week, or freeze indefinitely.
Japanese Beef and Rice Soup
Makes about 8 cups.
Note: Nori is a paper-thin sheet of dried seaweed. Adapted from "A Good Food Day," by Marco Canora.
• 7 c. beef bone broth (see recipe)
• 10 to 12 oz. shredded cooked beef short ribs (from making broth, or use 1 lb. shredded braised beef)
• 1 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
• 3 1/2 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 c.)
• 1 c. cooked brown rice
• 1/2 cup nori crinkles (or slice up toasted nori sheets into 1/2-in. squares) (see Note)
• 2 tbsp. tamari
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 1 bunch green onions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
Bring broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in meat, ginger, mushrooms, rice, nori, tamari and lemon juice; cook 2 minutes. Stir in green onions. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Nutrition information per 1 cup:
Calories 167 Fat 7 g Sodium 405 mg
Carbohydrates 10 g Saturated fat 3 g Calcium 42 mg
Protein 15 g Cholesterol 34 mg Dietary fiber 2 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: ½ bread/starch, 2 lean meat.