SPRING VEGETABLE SAUTÉ
Note: Serve with new potatoes, lentils or rice. From "Fresh & Fast Vegetarian," by Marie Simmons.
• 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 (12-oz.) bag frozen artichoke hearts, partially thawed, blotted dry
• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 c. (1/4-in. thick) wedges of shallots
• 1 garlic clove, sliced paper thin
• 1 c. thin diagonal slices slender carrots (from 1 to 2 carrots)
• 1 c. (1-in. lengths) slender green beans (about 4 oz.)
• 12 oz. slender asparagus, peeled if large, cut diagonally into 1-in. lengths (about 3 c.)
• 1 c. frozen petite green peas
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill or mint
• Lemon wedges
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. When hot enough to sizzle a piece of artichoke heart, add the artichokes, cut sides down, and cook over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn, sprinkle with salt and a generous grinding of black pepper and brown the other sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer browned artichoke hearts to a bowl.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the shallots and garlic to pan and cook, stirring, over low heat until sizzling. Add carrots, green beans and 1/4 cup water. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a grinding of black pepper and cook, covered, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Add asaparagus and peas and cook, stirring, uncovered, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add artichokes and dill and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until artichokes are heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over each serving.