TFD: Great February numbers from Kevin Love, even if Wolves were sub-.500 in the month
- Blog Post by: Michael Rand
- February 28, 2014 - 3:48 PM
* Kevin Love, the reigning Western Conference Player of the Week, finished his month of February averaging league-highs in both points (34.0 ppg) and rebounds (14.1 rpg). The last player to average 34+ pts and 14+ rebs in a month was Moses Malone in March 1982.
* Has recorded 30+ points and 10+ rebounds in six straight games, the third longest streak in the last 30 seasons (11 by O'Neal in 2001; 10 by Karl Malone in 1988).
* Love's 33-point, 13-rebound, 9-assist performance on Feb. 25 vs. Phoenix was his fifth straight 30+ pt/10+ reb game w/ 2+ 3FGM, the longest such streak in the NBA in at least 28 seasons.
* Love scored 22 points in the third quarter against Utah on Feb. 22, his highest scoring quarter ever and just shy of the club record for points in a quarter (Chauncey Billups, 24 in 3rd on Feb. 19, 2002); Love's 22-point third period in Utah wrapped up a three-game stretch in which he totaled 55 third-quarter points (15, Feb. 12 vs. Denver; 18, Feb. 19 vs. Indiana; 22, Feb. 22 at Utah).
The saddest number, not included in the stat pack sent out by the Wolves: 5-6. That was their record during Love's amazing month (and that was only after a 4-1 finish to the month, a string they bring into March).
© 2015 Star Tribune