Children of US couple in death probe leave Qatar
- Associated Press
- October 7, 2013 - 11:20 AM
DOHA, Qatar — The family of an American couple facing charges in Qatar of starving to death their 8-year-old adopted daughter says the Gulf state has allowed their two other children to return to the United States.
A statement Monday says the children, also adopted from Africa, arrived Saturday from Qatar and are staying with relatives in Washington State.
Last week, a judge in Qatar ordered Matthew and Grace Huang to remain jailed pending their next hearing scheduled for Nov. 6.
They are charged with starving and mistreating their Ghanaian-born daughter Gloria, who died in January. The former California couple says the girl died from medical problems complicated by anorexia-like bouts.
Matthew Huang was working on water engineering projects as part of infrastructure improvements for Qatar's hosting of the 2022 World Cup.
© 2016 Star Tribune