Scott Olson, Getty Images
Sunday Supper: Fiesta Smothered Chicken
- October 2, 2013 - 2:31 PM
Fiesta Smothered Chicken
Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers because the oils can burn skin. Recipe can be easily doubled. From “Recipes Across America,” from Taste of Home.
• 3 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 oz. each)
• 1/2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1/4 c. chopped onion
• 4 tsp. chopped, seeded jalapeño pepper (see Note)
• 6 tsp. butter, divided
• 1/4 c. shredded pepper jack cheese
• 1/4 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
In a large, resealable plastic bag, combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté the mushrooms, onion and jalapeño in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
Drain and discard marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees. Spoon vegetable mixture over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
© 2016 Star Tribune