10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- June 16, 2013 - 10:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. SURVEILLANCE LEAKS TEST TRANSPARENCY
Before 2008 election, candidate Obama knocked then-President Bush for creating a "false choice" between liberties and security. Now Obama says citizens cannot expect unlimited security and unlimited privacy.
2. SEEKING MODERATION IN IRAN'S NEW LEADER
Scenes of Iranians celebrating in the streets reflect hopes that reformist-backed President-elect Hasan Rowhani can loosen the grip of political hard-liners.
3. WHO WILL OVERSEE GUANTANAMO'S CLOSURE
Obama chooses high-powered Washington lawyer Clifford Sloan to handle the shutdown of the military-run prison.
4. TURKEY PRESENTS A TALE OF 2 RALLIES
As protesters fight to regain Taksim Square, Prime Minister Erdogan enthralls thousands of supporters with fiery rhetoric.
5. WHAT US LEARNED FROM IRAQ WHEN IT COMES TO SYRIA
For some, America's failure to enforce a no-fly zone in 1992 shows that the U.S. shouldn't police Syrian skies.
6. WHY BITE MARKS NO LONGER HAVE TEETH IN US COURTS
DNA outstrips their usefulness as evidence and upcoming cases may determine if they will ever be used in future.
7. HOW CITIES ARE FACING CLIMATE CHANGE
From NYC's proposed flood walls to Venice's underwater barriers, the world seeks ways to combat storms, rising water levels.
8. WHERE POLICE ARE EXPECTED TO OUTNUMBER PROTESTERS
Some 7,000 officers will face 2,000 protesters at the G-8 summit in Northern Ireland, where leaders will tackle Syria's civil war, freer trade between Europe and N. America, global tax evasion.
9. ROSE'S BIG US OPEN MOMENT COMES AT LEFTY'S EXPENSE
A steady hand gives Englishman Justin Rose his first major championship. A wild ride gives Phil Mickelson another second place finish.
10. SPURS TAKE LEAD AGAIN IN NBA SERIES
Manu Ginobil had 24 points to spark San Antonio to a 114-104 Game 5 win over the defending champion Miami Heat.
© 2015 Star Tribune