Stages Theatre 30th season poster
Stages Theatre announces its lineup for 2013-14 season
- Star Tribune
- April 9, 2013 - 4:14 PM
Stages Theatre Company will celebrate its 30th anniversary season with nine productions for children and young adults, including three world premieres.
The 2013-14 season will include a play in which the audience gets to decide the ending: “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs.” And in the final show of the season, “The Dandelion Seed,” children and parents will participate in the performance.
Here’s the lineup of shows beginning in September:
• “Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse,” by Kevin Henkes, Sept. 20-Oct. 20. Lilly looks at the world around her and loves everything. Her friends, Chester and Wilson, share her excitement. The audience gets to share in their adventures.
• “Sideways Stories from Wayside School,” by Louis Sachar, Oct. 18-Nov. 10. A builder makes a mistake and the result is that Wayside School is 30 stories high with one classroom on each level. The strangeness doesn’t end there.
• “Llama Llama Holiday Drama,” by Anna Dewdney, Nov. 22-Dec. 29. World premiere of a musical built around little Llama Llama, who has trouble waiting for anything.
• “The Mitten,” by Jan Brett, Jan. 17-Feb. 17. For its 30th season, Stages is bringing back this audience favorite.
• “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day,” by Judith Viorst, March 7-23. The hilarious consequences of a single day in the life of the storybook character.
• “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs,” by Robert Kauzlaric, Paul Gilvary and William Rush, April 11-May 11, 2014. This musical trial will delight audiences — and you get to decide the verdict.
• “Starry River of the Sky,” by Grace Lin, April 25-May 18, 2014. The moon is missing, but only a young boy named Rendi seems to notice in this beautiful Chinese tale — another world premiere.
• “The Wiz — TYA Version,” by William F. Brown, June 27-Aug. 3, 2014. This is the familiar story of Dorothy’s trip to Oz and the wonderful characters she meets.
• “The Dandelion Seed,” by Joseph Anthony, Aug. 8-23, 2014. An experiential innovation in theater: Becoming a part of the story yourself with your young ones. Parents and children will get a chance to take part in this world premiere.
Tickets go on sale for the general public April 16. To purchase individual tickets, go to www.stagestheatre.org or call the Stages box office at 952-979-1111 from noon-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday.
Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for children ages 4-17, and $12 for seniors 60 and older. Lap passes are available for free for ages 2 and under, and $5 for ages 3-4.
Stages Theatre Company is based at the Hopkins Center for the Arts, 1111 Mainstreet in Hopkins.
© 2015 Star Tribune