Prep roundup: Hill-Murray wins boys' hockey rematch with BSM
- December 8, 2012 - 11:46 PM
BOYS' HOCKEYHill-Murray wins title rematch
• HILL-MURRAY 4, BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 2: Senior wing Zach LaValle scored two goals as the No. 5 Pioneers (4-0) dealt the top-ranked Red Knights their first loss. Saturday's game at the St. Louis Park Recreation Center was a rematch of last season's Class 2A championship game, won 5-1 by the Red Knights on the strength of five Grant Besse goals.
Besse did not score Saturday. A goal by Red Knights forward Spencer Naas tied the score 2-2 in the second period.
LaValle scored at 2:48 of the third period and the 3-2 lead stood until the Pioneers added an empty net goal with four seconds left.
DAVID LA VAQUE
• LAKEVILLE SOUTH 4, PRIOR LAKE 3: The Cougars showed off their flare for the dramatic, taking only half a minute to turn a one-goal defecit into a one-goal victory in South Suburban play. Lakeville South's Nick Swaney scored the go-ahead goal with four-tenths of a second left on the clock and only 34 seconds after teammate Patrick Lauderdale evened the score at 3-all. It's the first victory of the year for Lakeville South, and keeps Prior Lake winless. Gavin Smith scored two of the Lakers' three goals.
• WAYZATA 1, DULUTH EAST 0: The hunt for win No. 500 continues for Duluth East coach Mike Randolph. Wayzata scored when freshman Max Zimmer found the net only 64 seconds into the game. Behind goaltender Aaron Dingmann's 26-save shutout and a stout defense, Wayzata kept an aggressive Greyhounds team off the board.
GIRLS' HOCKEYApple Valley wins in OT
• APPLE VALLEY 5, PRIOR LAKE 4 (OT): Apple Valley's Erica Powers scored two late goals 28 seconds apart in the third period to force overtime during which Apple Valley's MacKenzie Ess scored a power-play goal that lifted the Eagles to their sixth victory of the year. Apple Valley neatly spread out its offense, taking 12 shots on goal each period, but Prior Lake kept pace through regulation on far fewer shot attempts.
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 6, CHASKA/CHANHASSEN 1: Class 2A, No. 2 Benilde-St. Margaret's rolled past visiting Chaska/Chanhassen paced by hat tricks from Kelly Pannek and Brittany Wheeler. The Red Knights' defense didn't allow a shot on goal in the opening period, and BSM goalkeeper Abigail Miller saved 15 shots.
© 2015 Star Tribune