Recipe: Smoky Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili
- November 7, 2012 - 1:48 PM
SMOKY BLACK BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHILI
Note: The savory combination of earthy black beans, smoky chipotle chile and sweet butternut squash is absolutely irresistible. You can often find butternut squash already peeled and cubed in your grocer's produce aisles, which makes this already easy chili even easier. From Meredith Deeds.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp cumin seeds
• 11/2 tbsp. minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
• 3 (15-oz.) cans black beans, well drained
• 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes (about 4 c.)
• 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
• 3 c. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 3/4 tsp. salt
• 1/2 c. low-fat sour cream
• Cilantro for garnish, optional
Heat the olive oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add in the onions and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cumin and sauté until fragrant, about another 2 minutes.
Add in the chipotle chiles, black beans, butternut squash, tomatoes, chicken or vegetable broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Ladle into warm serving bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of cilantro leaves.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 245 Fat 4 g Sodium 764 mg
Carbohydrates 42 g Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 152 mg
Protein 13 g Cholesterol 5 mg Dietary fiber 14 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 2 bread/starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
© 2016 Star Tribune