Thome's deal includes $1.4 million in incentives
- Blog Post by: Phil Miller
- January 18, 2011 - 10:25 AM
Jim Thome's new one-year, $3 million contract with the Twins could pay him an additional $1.4 million in incentives for plate appearances, a person familiar with the deal told the Star Tribune.
These are the incentive levels:
* $200,000 once he reaches 200 plate appearances
* Another $300,000 when he reaches 300 PA
* Another $300,000 when he reaches 350 PA
* Another $300,000 when he reaches 400 PA
Those are heftier bonuses than Thome had built into last year's contract, which paid him a base salary of $1.5 million. Thome received $100,000 for reaching 250 PA, and another $100K for reaching 300 PA, finished the season with 340 PA.
Ken Rosenthal, of FoxSports.com, reported that Thome turned down a $4 million offer from the Rangers to return to the Twins, but it's unclear if the Texas offer included a similar bonus structure.
© 2013 Star Tribune