Who says deviled eggs have to be basic? Start with the traditional recipe and then experiment with some of these options.
• Anchovy paste
• Blue cheese or feta
• Crab and other seafood
• Curry powder
• Green onions
• Herbs: fresh chives, dill, tarragon, chervil, parsley or basil
• Jalapeños or other peppers
• Pesto: Skip the mustard and substitute a few tablespoons of pesto
• Pimento cheese: Stuff egg entirely with pimento cheese
• Salmon, smoked
• Tuna, canned
• Garnishes: olives, capers, caviar, fresh herbs, roasted red peppers, chile peppers
• Substitute yogurt, sour cream, crème fraîche or olive oil for the mayo in the filling.
Tips for perfection
• For a creamy texture, prepare the filling while the egg yolks are still warm for easy mashing. Or press the yolks through a fine sieve with the back of a spoon.
• To make a pretty swirl with the filling, use a pastry bag with a round or fluted tip and half-inch-wide opening. Or cut a corner from a small plastic bag, add filling and squeeze it onto the hollow of the egg.
• Chill the filled eggs for at least 30 minutes before serving.
LEE SVITAK DEAN