Campers are now enthusiastically recycling and composting at Baker Park Reserve campground in Maple Plain.
This summer, the Three Rivers Park District implemented a green camping program at the popular campground, instituting composting and recycling at the campground.
Each camping group was given a blue bag for recyclables, a green bag for organics and a green camping guide with information and educational activities.
The program is funded in part through the Hennepin Green Partners program.
A waste sort conducted on July 22 to assess the success of the program found that campers recycled 32 percent and composted 10 percent of all waste generated at the campground for a total diversion rate of 42 percent, exceeding the program goal of a 35 percent diversion rate.
The campground, at 2309 Baker Park Road, offers more than 200 sites. Shower and restroom facilities are nearby. There are also five group campsites.