MnDOT audit finds rampant trouble with women and minority contracting program

  • Article by: JIM ANDERSON , Star Tribune
  • Updated: September 23, 2013 - 4:41 PM

Program designed to give women- and minority-owned business a leg up is rife with problems, MnDOT finds.

hide

A St. Croix bridge contract was the subject of a lawsuit after the low bidder lost out over DBE issues.

Photo: JOEL KOYAMA • joel koyama@startribune,

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview largerrr

Minnesota has failed for three years to meet federal requirements for a program designed to steer millions of dollars in state transportation projects to minority- and women-owned businesses.

The program has been so plagued by mismanagement and weak oversight that some firms were awarded multimillion dollar contracts for which they might not have otherwise qualified.

In one case, nearly $1.6 million for buying materials on the Union Depot project in St. Paul was funneled through a minority- or women-owned firm to a non-minority-owned contractor. In another case on the same project, nearly $2 million was improperly credited to a non-minority-owned firm.

The findings and others, included in an internal audit of the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program, have led to a shake-up in the Minnesota Department of Transportation’s Office of Civil Rights and may result in additional investigations.

“This is absolutely a wake-up call,” said state Sen. Scott Dibble, DFL-Minneapolis, chairman of the Transportation and Public Safety Committee. Given the gravity of the issues raised by MnDOT’s internal audit, Dibble said he may ask the Legislative Auditor’s Office to conduct its own independent review.

Transportation department officials said they are moving quickly to address the shortcomings cited in the audit of the DBE program.

“This is a high priority for Commissioner [Charles] Zelle and the agency. We need to ensure that all contractors have an opportunity to work on MnDOT projects,” MnDOT spokesman Kevin Gutknecht said in an e-mail. “MnDOT fully supports diversity and believes that a diverse workforce, internally and externally on MnDOT projects provides a stronger and better outcome and better projects.”

The 30-year-old DBE program has long been plagued with fraud and oversight problems at both the federal and state levels. In 2010 and 2011 alone, U.S. Department of Transportation fraud investigations led to $88 million in recoveries, restitutions and fines, along with 10 federal indictments and eight criminal convictions.

Locally, it’s also been a source of long-standing, and often costly, frustration for large contractors and DBE contractors alike, said state Rep. Michael Beard, R-Shakopee, who described the program as a “very twitchy, explosive and sensitive subject.” Those problems, and clashes over how the program is run, are why he and former state Sen. Joe Gimse, R-Willmar, sought the audit last year.

Federal funds on the line

The DBE program is designed to put firms owned by minorities and women in a better position to compete for public works contracts by requiring states to set minimum goals for their participation. Each state is responsible for seeing that DBE contracting goals are met, that DBE firms are properly certified as eligible for the program and that the pool of DBE-eligible firms is expanded. If those goals are not met, it can mean a loss of potentially millions of federal transportation dollars.

Among the audit’s most serious findings, MnDOT, despite its reports to the contrary, never met its DBE participation goals for 2010, 2011 and 2012, which had been set at 8.76 percent. The audit could not substantiate the percentage of construction dollars given to DBE firms, and when documents and calculation were requested, “for some reason the information or calculations were not retained. An attempt to recalculate the rates proved unsuccessful.”

The audit also found that MnDOT’s Office of Civil Rights was not properly monitoring DBE subcontractors. The audit “found several examples of potential wrongdoing in this area,” chiefly, that contracted work that was to be completed by DBEs was never completed by DBEs, yet was included in the participation rate.

The audit also found that MnDOT has failed to increase the number of DBE firms eligible to bid on state projects, and that those firms that are eligible are not participating in bidding.

In one instance, when it was clear that the prime contractor on the Lafayette Bridge was falling short of its DBE participation goal, state officials lowered the target from 12 percent to 6.3 percent. “Our concern is this represents a major change in opinion with little or no documentation,” the audit says.

The official who approved that change, Mary Prescott, then-director of the Office of Civil Rights, has since been reassigned to a different job within MnDOT. Gutknecht said that a new acting director was named and the office was moved under the chief counsel to ensure better oversight.

MnDOT has also responded to other concerns raised in the audit, Gutknect said, including a new system to better protect private data, and better record-keeping procedures. But larger issues remain, which is why a follow-up review to gauge that progress is likely.

Low bidders lose out

  • related content

  • Funding on the St. Paul Union Depot was funneled through a DBE firm to a non-minority-owned firm.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close