It's a musical weekend in the Twin Cities with three stadium concerts on the docket. Billy Joel, the Piano Man, holds court Friday night at Target Field followed on Saturday by Florida Georgia Line. Down the block Guns and Roses complete the trifecta with a show Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium.
Drivers in the west metro may be cursing out their own detour ditty as a paving project shuts down a portion of Hwy. 169. Motorists heading to Wisconsin will have to navigate around a bridge closure at Osceola, leaving two viable options for crossing the St. Croix River.
Traffic generating events also include the Loring Park Art Festival in Minneapolis, the Loons battling D.C. United at 7 p.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium at the U and a Lynx game at 6 p.m. Sunday at the X in St. Paul.
Interstate 94 in Minneapolis and St. Paul
1. I-94 from Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center: All vehicles over 9,000 pounds are prohibited from the Lowry Hill Tunnel which is reduced to two lanes in each direction on both sides of the tunnel Thursday. The ramps from I-35W north to I-94 west, Hwy. 55 to I-94 east and 4th Ave. to I-94 west remain closed.
2. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Eastbound has the left lane set aside for through traffic while the far right lane is for drivers who want to access local streets. Lane and restrictions and ramp closures between Century Avenue and Mounds Boulevard.
3. Cedar and Portland avenues: Closed between 28th and Lake streets.
4. 3rd Avenue S.: Single lane between 1st and 2nd streets Saturday and Sunday; lane closures on Washington Avenue between 3rd and 5th avenues S.
5. Hwy. 51/Snelling Avenue in Falcon Heights: Single lane in each direction between Como Avenue and Hwy. 36.
6. I-35E in St. Paul: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Shepard Road.
7. Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights: Eastbound lanes closed between I-35E and I-494 and ramp from Hwy. 3/Robert Street to eastbound I-494 is closed through Aug. 7.
8. Hwy. 243 in Osceola, Wis.: Bridge over the St. Croix River closed for emergency repairs. The recommended is Hwy. 8 at Taylors Falls, Hwy. 36 in Stillwater or the I-94 bridge at Hudson Wis.
9. Hwy. 95 in Afton: Southbound lanes between 15th and 21st streets.
10. Eastbound 694 in Shoreview: Restricted to two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between Hwy. 10 and I-35E. The inside lane carries through traffic and drivers must continue east on I-694. The outside/right lane allows access to local streets and drivers must continue south on I-35E. Westbound traffic is down to two lanes. Ramp closures at Rice Street and Lexington Avenue.
11. I-35W at Hwy. 10 in Arden Hills: The ramps from westbound Hwy. 10 to northbound I-35W and northbound I-35W to County Road I are closed.
12. Hwy. 169 in Edina and St. Louis Park: The Nine Mile Creek bridge between Bren Road and Lincoln Drive/5th Street is closed and the highway is single lane between I-394 and Excelsior Boulevard. The ramp from westbound I-394 to southbound Hwy. 169 is closed through October.
13. Hwy. 169 in New Hope and Golden Valley: Southbound is closed from 7 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday between Hwy. 55 and Hwy. 7. Detour is Hwy. 55 west to I-494 south. The ramp from Medicine Lake Rd to SB Hwy 169 is closed through mid-August.
14. Hwy. 5 in Waconia: The highway is closed at Orchard Rd through mid-August.
15. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic between Girard and Xerxes avenues S. The project extends from Xerxes Avenue on the west end to 16th Avenue South on the east end.
16. 86th Street in Bloomington: The overpass at I-35W is closed through October.
17. Hwy. 13 in Burnsville and Savage: Lane closures in both directions between Hwy. 169 and Washburn Avenue.
18. Hwy. 55 in Inver Grove Heights: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Argenta Trail.
19. Hwy. 52 in Coates: Lane closures in both directions between 170th Street and County Road 86/280th Street.