Page 2 of 2 Previous

Continued: Minneapolis stands alone in opposing Southwest light-rail plans

  • Article by: PAT DOYLE , Star Tribune
  • Last update: March 30, 2014 - 9:47 AM

“Plus or minus 15 million bucks on a deal like this … I don’t think that’s a relative factor,” he said, adding that more engineering work on a freight reroute would only delay the project without producing useful information.

Kenilworth concerns

If any tunnel is built, the Kenilworth corridor is likely to see more disruption than elsewhere along the construction zone where light-rail tracks would be built at ground level. Wagenius said residents in the corridor worry about the noise and turmoil that would be caused by digging one or more tunnels for light rail under existing recreation trails.

While some Kenilworth residents favor tunnels that would be bored from underground to minimize disruption, the tunnels under consideration would be cut from above in sections and covered up, with the trails restored over them. That process would take a year or more.

Minneapolis says an option to dig a single tunnel extending under the water channel hasn’t been adequately studied but would be more disruptive. That more expensive option, offered two weeks ago by the Met Council, also has drawn criticism from officials from St. Louis Park and elsewhere.

Some of the more vocal opponents of the light-rail plan have back yards that run alongside the recreation trails.

When Wagenius asked about buyouts, Southwest project engineer Jim Alexander replied: “We do not have any allocation for purchasing property. We do not have any need for taking homes … in this area.”

“What about people who are willing to stay during construction impacts but their property values diminish?” Wagenius asked.

Alexander said that the project would survey the area before beginning work and that “if there are things that occur because of construction, we’ll have to rectify that.” A spokesman for the project later said there is no budget to compensate for loss of property value.

Minnetonka Mayor Terry Schneider told other metro leaders that residents in his community also would face construction turmoil. “

That’s just the reality,” he said. “They have to put up with it. They’ll benefit from it in the long term, but they don’t get compensated for their property value or inconvenience.”

 

Pat Doyle • 612-673-4504

  • related content

  • Stalemate over Southwest light-rail line adds millions to cost

    Sunday March 23, 2014

    The continued haggling over the route and other details have raised concerns about the escalating cost of the Twin Cities’ largest transit project, and how much power Minneapolis has to...

  • March 23: Transit use hits historic levels in metro

    Monday March 24, 2014

    There’s both pain and progress as the Twin Cities, like the nation, experiences a steep rise in the use of public transit. Nationally, transit use last year hit a level...

  • Southwest light rail dispute delays opening to 2019 or later

    Wednesday March 26, 2014

    The latest setback was revealed Wednesday at a meeting of metro leaders who are poised to make a recommendation on whether to hide the light rail in tunnels alongside freight...

  • The route of the Kenilworth recreational trail in southwest Minneapolis remains a key Southwest Corridor light-rail sticking point.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: Will the Gophers bring home The Axe?

Weekly Question

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close