A day after reports surfaced of his arrest in Houston, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson broke his silence through social media, telling followers there was more to the story than had been reported.

"Thank you for waiting for the facts. Truth will surface," he wrote on his Twitter account Sunday afternoon.

Peterson also quoted Winston Churchill, writing: "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

Peterson had spent Saturday morning in jail after police said the Vikings star pushed an officer and resisted arrest at a nightclub.

Calls to Peterson's agent seeking comment and an explanation of Peterson's tweets were not returned.

Bob Hagan, a spokesman for the Vikings, said Sunday that the team had no comment beyond a statement issued on Saturday saying the team was gathering information about the incident.

The early Saturday incident landed Peterson in custody until he posted a $1,000 bond a few hours later. The four-time All-Pro now awaits a Friday appearance in Harris County Criminal Court.

Police say Peterson, 27, was with a group of people sitting next to the bar at Live! at Bayou Place in downtown Houston.

At 2 a.m., an off-duty police officer working security told them they had to leave because the club was closing. The officer left the group to tell other clubgoers to exit, and when he returned a short time later, Peterson and the group hadn't moved, Houston police spokesman Kese Smith said.

The officer again asked the group to leave.

"Peterson told the officer the group had heard them the first time and pushed him in the shoulder, causing him to stumble," Smith said.

The officer told Peterson that he was under arrest, but Peterson began yelling, struggling as the officer attempted to put on handcuffs and ignoring commands to stop resisting, Smith said.

Peterson pulled away from the officer "and assumed a violent stance," Smith said.

Two other officers helped subdue the 6-foot-1, 217-pound Peterson, who is recovering from knee surgery. Peterson was charged with resisting arrest.