Chickpea and Farro Salad
Note: This makes a nice light main course salad; add sliced chicken or turkey for a heartier meal. It will keep at least two days in the refrigerator so feel free to make it ahead. It travels well. From Beth Dooley.
• 2 c. cooked farro (see below)
• 2 c. cooked chickpeas (see below)
• 1 c. chopped kale
• 1/4 c. dried cranberries
• 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• Generous pinch red pepper flakes
• 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place the farro, chickpeas, kale and cranberries into a large bowl.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and red pepper flakes.
Add the parsley, salt and pepper to the chickpeas and farro, and toss all with the vinaigrette.
Nutrition information per serving:
Carbohydrates 51 g
Protein 11 g
Fat 16 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 125 mg
Total sugars 11 mg
Dietary fiber 10 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 starch, ½ carb, 2 ½ fat.