A hospital patient who died early Sunday after attacking and injuring four nurses at St. John's Hospital in Maplewood was identified Monday as Charles Emmett Logan of St. Paul.

Why and how Logan died has yet to be determined, pending test results, according to the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. The Ramsey County medical examiner's office was planning to do an autopsy.

Logan, 68, had been hospitalized since Wednesday, suffering from bouts of confusion. He had displayed no signs of violence, officials said, until he suddenly began swinging a long metal bar at the nurses shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday.

One nurse suffered a collapsed lung, another a broken wrist and the others had cuts and bruises from trying to escape. Two remained hospitalized Monday afternoon, but a hospital spokeswoman declined to give their conditions. No other patients were injured.

Logan was subdued near the hospital by Ramsey County deputies Mark Suchy and Richard Werdien, who took him to the ground and handcuffed him. Officials said Logan then went limp, and police and paramedics made efforts to revive him. But he was pronounced dead at St. John's.

"From everything the [man's] family has said, this is not like him at all," Maplewood Police Chief Paul Schnell said. "Something medically occurred. We are certainly hoping to get more answers for the family and everyone."

The two county deputies and a Maplewood officer were put on standard administrative leave. The BCA was called in to investigate the incident by the Maplewood police and Ramsey County Sheriff's Office.

Schnell said that Logan ran after the nurses and repeatedly swung the bar full force as they tried to flee. The entire incident was caught on hospital security video.

"I saw some of the nurses afterward," Schnell said. "It was frightening."

Logan fled the hospital with the metal bar, which was described as 3 to 3½ feet long and about an inch in diameter. It was used to attach items such as oxygen tanks to a hospital bed.

Schnell said that Logan was found about three blocks north of the hospital, asking whether the Ramsey County deputies who confronted him were "the real police."

When Logan refused to drop the bar, Werdien fired his Taser at him. But the probes on the stun gun didn't make contact with the man's body. At the same time, Suchy rushed him and took him to the ground.

Logan continued to struggle as he was handcuffed by a Maplewood officer.

Suchy is a 16-year veteran of the sheriff's office. Werdien has been with the sheriff's office for less than a year.

Staff writers Kevin Duchschere and Paul Walsh contributed to this report.

Pat Pheifer • 952-746-3284