NEW YORK — The NBA has expanded the permissible scope of coach's challenge reviews on some out-of-bounds plays, saying Tuesday that if a foul should have been called on the play it now can be assessed shortly after the fact.
The league's Board of Governors approved the move on the second day of its two-day meeting in New York, after it was unanimously recommended by the league's competition committee last week. The change will take effect this season.
The review change could have come into play at least once in last season's playoffs, when Dallas' Kyrie Irving fouled Minnesota's Jaden McDaniels and the ball went out of bounds. No foul was called on the play, and even though the review clearly showed Irving hitting McDaniels' arm the ball was awarded to Dallas because it went out off of McDaniels.
When such out-of-bounds plays have reviews triggered by coaches challenging now, on-court officials and the NBA Replay Center ''will be able to review the video to determine whether a foul proximate to the violation should have been called,'' the league said, providing that certain criteria are met.
Those criteria: whether the players involved in the uncalled foul are the same or different players than the ones involved in the out-of-bounds violation under review, and how much time has elapsed between the uncalled foul and the violation.
FIBA visits the meeting
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told The Associated Press last month that the league is ramping up talks with FIBA on how to best increase its competitive footprint in Europe either through an annual tournament or an NBA-operated league.
As part of those talks, FIBA secretary general Andreas Zagklis visited the board of governors meeting on Tuesday.