Three observations ...
• Cleveland’s Justin Masterson already has two complete-game 1-0 victories. That’s impressive because many managers would automatically push the bullpen button and bring in a closer for the ninth inning.
• Looks as if Francisco Liriano likes pitching in the National League. He’s 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA since coming off the disabled list.
• Anthony Rizzo is a great story. He battled Hodgkin’s lymphoma while in A-ball, survived that scare and now has cashed in with a seven-year, $41 million deal with the Cubs.
... and two predictions
• Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, already the comeback player of the year, will save 45 games in his final season.
• Brewers shortstop Jean Segura will slump some but will finish with at least a .300 batting average, 17 homers and a .875 OPS.
LA VELLE E. NEAL III