Garden Herb Pasta Salad
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: This is filled with vegetables and herbs, with a smaller amount of pasta than many such recipes. From Bonnie Dehn.
• 1 c. rotini pasta
• 1 c. chopped celery
• 1 c. chopped red bell pepper
• 1 c. chopped zucchini
• 1/2 c. sliced black olives, drained
• 3 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
• 3 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
• 1 1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
• 1 1/2 c. diced pepperoni, optional
• 1/2 c. sliced fresh carrots
• Herb Vinaigrette (see recipe)
Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool pasta.
Combine pasta with remaining ingredients and enough vinaigrette to moisten the mixture. Refrigerate until served.
Bonnie’s Herb Vinegar
Makes about 4 cups.
• 1 c. fresh herbs of choice (leaves and stems of basil, oregano and rosemary, or others)
• 4 c. red wine vinegar
• 1 garlic clove
Heat vinegar until steam rises (do not boil). Add herbs and garlic. Continue to heat for 3 minutes (do not boil). Transfer to sterile container. Strain out herbs before use in recipe. Store for up to 6 months.
To make Bonnie’s Herb Vinaigrette: Combine 1 cup Bonnie’s Herb Vinegar, 3 tablespoons honey and ½ cup olive oil. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.