Note: To speed up the process, the authors use packaged prepared rice (3 to 4 cups cooked), though it can be cooked from scratch, as the recipe below indicates. Adapted slightly from “The All-New Fresh Food Fast,” by the editors of Cooking Light.
• 1 c. uncooked basmati rice (see Note)
• 1/2 c. plain whole-milk yogurt
• 1 tsp. kosher salt
• 1 tsp. garam masala
• 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
• 1 skinless rotisserie chicken, shredded into large pieces and warmed (about 2 1/2 c.)
• 3 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 c. yellow onion
• About 3 c. broccoli and cauliflower blend (or one or the other; either fresh or frozen)
• 3/4 c. unsalted chicken stock
•1/2 c. golden raisins, optional
• Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
Cook rice according to package directions or use prepared rice.
Stir together yogurt, salt, garam masala and turmeric in a medium bowl. Add the cooked chicken; toss to coat. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in cooked rice and chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 4 minutes. Stir in chicken-yogurt mixture, and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with golden raisins and cilantro, if desired.