Former Minneapolis Lakers star Vern Mikkelsen was a 6-7, 230 pounds and is considered the NBA’s first power forward. A look at the career highlights of Mikkelsen, who died Thursday night:
• Inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1995.
• Helped lead the Minneapolis Lakers to four NBA titles in five seasons from 1950 through 1954.
• Averaged 14.4 points and 9.4 rebounds in 699 NBA games.
• Still holds NBA record by fouling out of 127 games
• A collegiate star at Hamline when Pipers were among nation’s top teams — at any level.
• Played high school at tiny Askov, Minn.
|Cleveland - LP: T. House||1||FINAL|
|Detroit - WP: A. Simon||4|
|Houston - WP: S. Feldman||9||FINAL|
|Oakland - LP: K. Graveman||3|
|NY Mets - WP: M. Harvey||8||FINAL|
|NY Yankees - LP: C. Sabathia||2|
|Washington - LP: S. Strasburg||0||FINAL|
|Miami - WP: T. Koehler||8|
|Toronto - LP: B. Cecil||2||FINAL|
|Tampa Bay - WP: E. Frieri||4|
|Boston||2||Top 9th Inning|
|St. Louis||5||Top 8th Inning|
|Pittsburgh||1||Bottom 5th Inning|
|San Francisco||2||Top 5th Inning|
|Los Angeles||6||Bottom 2nd Inning|
|Texas||0||Top 2nd Inning|
|Minnesota||1||Top 2nd Inning|
|Golden State||74||3rd Qtr 8:36|
|Nashville||3||2nd Prd 15:04|
|Vancouver||3||1st Prd 9:41|
|Real Salt Lake||0||FINAL|
|Sporting Kansas City||1||2nd Half|