• Wide receiver Greg Lewis provided one of the season highlights the last time the Vikings won a playoff game in 2009, when they beat the Dallas Cowboys 34-3 in an NFC Divisional game. Lewis caught a game-winning, 32-yard touchdown pass from Brett Favre with two seconds left in a 27-24 victory against the San Francisco 49ers. He’s now coaching wide receivers at San Jose State, the Gophers’ opponent on Saturday.
• Gophers fall baseball practice is progressing at the new Siebert Field. The annual “Steak N’ Beans” series of intrasquad games will be played each weekend from Friday through Oct. 14 and are free and open to the public (see gophersports.com for game times).
• Major League Baseball had a contingent of 25 people in Minneapolis this week for meetings associated with the 2014 All-Star Game. Look for MLB and the Twins to release ticket prices and more information about various All-Star Game events over the next few months.
• The Twins have started renewal of their season tickets, with the first payment deadline Sept. 30. The club expects to renew a minimum of 90 percent of their current season ticket base, which totals a little more than 19,000 full-season equivalents.
• The official groundbreaking for renovations to the Twins’ spring training complex in Fort Myers, Fla., is scheduled for Oct. 3. The first phase of the $45 million project, which includes a new player development academy, minor league clubhouse and new practice field, will be completed before March of 2014. Renovations to Hammond Stadium and the balance of the complex will be finished before the start of spring training in 2015.
• Look for an announcement soon that the Twins will open their 2014 spring training schedule with an exhibition vs. Florida Gulf Coast University. FGCU, which produced the likes of White Sox ace Chris Sale, is located minutes away from the Twins’ spring training complex. The Twins hope to schedule a similar exhibition with the Gophers in the spring of 2015.
• Twins General Manager Terry Ryan will lead the Twins’ annual organizational meetings Oct. 8-11 in Fort Myers. … The great businessman Harvey Mackay will address the Twins’ front office staff Monday.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org