Then you also have the $8 million the Gophers are trying to raise for improvements to Mariucci Arena.
The word on the street is that athletic director Norwood Teague has a good chance to get large sums of money from Land O’Lakes, 3M and possibly Cargill. But no one has come up as a major contributor to provide for the big needs of the facilities, improvements that would enable Gophers to compete in recruiting with schools that have an advantage.
• Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders was asked what is being done to keep Nikola Pekovic healthy next season. “We’re really trying to get a handle on his foot,” Saunders said. “People have to understand that over the first 41 games [last season] he was one of the top three centers in the league. We’re trying to get his foot right. What we’ve done is he’s seen doctors, seen some therapists, we’re making great progress. He went out to Nike actually, and they went through and fitted him with his own shoe out there. This summer, he has taken the time off to rehab his foot, so hopefully he’s able to play 82 games with us next year.”
• Saunders said Wolves point guard Ricky Rubio, who was in Brazil for soccer’s World Cup, will play for host Spain and the renamed FIBA World Cup for basketball in August. Kevin Love is expected to again be on Team USA, as he was at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey and the 2012 London Olympics.
• Vikings defensive tackle Linval Joseph, who signed as a free agent from the Giants, talked about how he will fit on his new defense. “More as a run stopper,” he said. “Go inside, play a shade, stop the run and let the guys on the outside get some sacks.”
• Nobody involved with the Twins could remember when they had two former Yankees on their roster like they do at present with pitcher Phil Hughes and utility man Eduardo Nunez. The Yankees let Hughes depart as a free agent and placed Nunez on waivers.
• There are four Minnesota high school hockey players with the U.S. under-18 squad for the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup Aug. 11-16 in the Czech Republic and Slovakia: Brock Boeser (Burnsville), Nick Swaney (Lakeville South), Tommy Novak (St. Thomas Academy) and Jacob Olson (Hill-Murray).