The Gophers women’s soccer team, despite returning sophomore Tarah Hobbs, was picked to finish 11th in the Big Ten in the coaches’ preseason poll. Hobbs was the conference’s goalkeeper of the year last fall.
Penn State, which has won 15 of the past 16 league titles, is the conference favorite.
All 14 conference teams open Aug. 22; the Gophers play Stetson in DeLand, Fla.
Edina golfer shares lead
Samuel Foust of Edina is part of a three-way tie for first place in the American/Canadian Junior Golf Association Championship in London, Ontario. Foust, who has committed to Oregon, is at 1-under 141 going into the final round. He was the runner-up at the Under Armour/Jeff Overton Championship last month in Columbus, Ind.
• Walter Ray Williams Jr. beat Tom Baker 268-224 in the championship match of the PBA50 Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open in Welch, Minn. Baker’s loss also kept him from earning the Player of the Year award on the pro bowlers’ senior tour, which instead went to Norm Duke.
• The Minnesota Swarm traded transition player Tyler Hass and forward Dane Stevens to the Vancouver Stealth in exchange for defenseman Mike Grimes and a third-round pick in the 2016 National Lacrosse League entry draft.
• Defending football champion St. Scholastica was picked the preseason favorite to win the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference title in a coaches’ poll.
• The University of St. Thomas is ranked No. 5 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s preseason Division III volleyball poll.
• Winnipeg edged the St. Paul Saints 4-2. Angelo Songco had a two-run double for the visiting Saints.