Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, one of seven named plaintiffs in a class-action lawsuit that was filed against the NCAA on Friday, declined comment on it Saturday.
The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis, accuses the NCAA and 11 major conferences of fixing prices by capping the value of athletic scholarships. It was filed on behalf of all college football and basketball players.
On Friday night Floyd, who played at Florida, tweeted: “Student athletes need to be respected more. It’s hard for great coaches to do their job when their athletes are just looking for something as simple as an extra meal, a movie date with a friend and comfort that they are gonna be taken care of and not taken advantage of. Athletes shouldn’t be suspended for raising money, to better his life or for looking at a mentor as a father.”
• Zach Higgins made 53 saves, a National Lacrosse League-high this season, but the Minnesota Swarm lost 8-6 to Toronto at the Xcel Energy Center in its final game. Logan Schuss had two goals and two assists for the Swarm (4-14).
• The No. 12-rated Gophers routed visiting Penn State 9-0, 16-2 in two five-inning games in Big Ten softball at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium. Freshman Sara Groenewegen pitched a no-hitter in the first game and shortstop Tyler Walker hit two homers. In the second game, the Gophers (36-8, 14-5 Big Ten) scored a season-high 10 runs in the fourth inning, two on Kaitlyn Richardson’s homer.
• The Gophers swept Penn State 4-0 and 12-0 in a Big Ten baseball doubleheader at Siebert Field. Righthander Ben Meyer shut out Penn State for eight innings and Connor Schaefbauer had a three-run double in the second. The Gophers scored seven runs in the first inning of the nightcap.
• Sophomore Wally Ellenson of the Gophers cleared 7 feet, 2½ inches to finish third in the high jump in the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa. Junior Blayne Dulian placed third in the 1,500-meter run in 3 minutes, 46.51 seconds.
• Carmen Laguna and Anna Laorr of the Gophers both shot 76s in the second round of the Big Ten women’s golf tournament in French Lick, Ind., and are tied for 16th place. Minnesota is tied for eighth (621).