After the International Olympic Committee’s executive board recommended that wrestling be eliminated as an Olympic sport in 2020, FILA — the sport’s international governing body — asked member nations to suggest rule changes. At a meeting May 18, it adopted several new rules designed to make the sport more exciting. Some of those include:
• Switching from three periods of two minutes each to two periods of three minutes each.
• Scoring will be cumulative throughout the match, rather than matches being decided in a best-of-three-periods format, which will give wrestlers an incentive to try to score more.
• Takedowns will be worth two points, making them more valuable than the single point for a pushout or penalty.
• In freestyle, passive wrestlers will get a verbal warning from the official on the first offense. If a second offense is called, the wrestler will have 30 seconds to score a point; if that does not happen, the opponent is awarded a point. If neither wrestler scores in the first two minutes of a period, the referee will designate one as passive, and that athlete must score within 30 seconds or the opponent will receive a point.
• In Greco-Roman, a passive wrestler will first receive a verbal warning. A second offense will result in a caution, with the opponent choosing whether to start from a par terre or standing position. A third offense will award a point to the opponent, and a fourth will end the bout, with the opponent winning by fall.
|Chicago WSox - LP: J. Guerra||2||FINAL|
|Cleveland - WP: B. Shaw||3|
|Pittsburgh - LP: F. Liriano||3||FINAL|
|Cincinnati - WP: J. Cueto||6|
|Miami - LP: B. Hand||1||FINAL|
|NY Mets - WP: J. deGrom||9|
|Washington - WP: T. Roark||10||FINAL|
|Philadelphia - LP: K. Kendrick||3|
|Toronto - LP: R. Dickey||0||FINAL|
|Tampa Bay - WP: D. Price||3|
|St. Louis - LP: C. Martinez||2||FINAL|
|Milwaukee - WP: W. Peralta||11|
|Boston - WP: C. Buchholz||11||FINAL|
|Houston - LP: B. Peacock||0|
|Detroit - LP: J. Verlander||2||FINAL|
|Kansas City - WP: Y. Ventura||5|
|Atlanta - WP: J. Teheran||10||FINAL|
|Chicago Cubs - LP: T. Wood||7|
|LA Angels - WP: T. Skaggs||10||FINAL|
|Texas - LP: S. Baker||7|
|Arizona - LP: V. Nuno||4||FINAL|
|San Francisco - WP: M. Bumgarner||8|
|San Diego - LP: T. Ross||0||FINAL|
|Los Angeles - WP: H. Ryu||1|
|Minnesota - WP: P. Hughes||13||FINAL|
|Colorado - LP: B. Anderson||5|
|Oakland - WP: S. Gray||4||FINAL|
|Seattle - LP: C. Young||1|
|NY Yankees - LP: C. Whitley||1||FINAL|
|Baltimore - WP: K. Gausman||3|