Via YouTube, Royce White says he's leaving college basketball
- Blog Post by: Amelia Rayno
- December 17, 2009 - 9:39 AM
Minnesota freshman forward Royce White, who was suspended indefinitely due to legal troubles, says he can't wait any longer for the completion of an on-campus burglary investigation that's played a key role in keeping him sidelined and away from the team.
The 6-8, 250-pound former Mr. Basketball said early Thursday, via a YouTube video titled "Royce White-The Last Interview," that he's leaving college basketball due to the pressure his legal situation has caused him, his family, Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith and the men's basketball program.
But he leaves the door open to a possible return to the program/college basketball.
"I’m making a decision as of right now, and it will take something ... big for me to go against the decision, to leave college basketball," he said on the YouTube video. "I gotta leave college basketball because I'm just ridding, I'm ridding people of the burden. And what I'm a do next is to be decided. I don't know yet. It's going to be a personal decision."
Campus police questioned White about an on-campus burglary last month, after a student's laptop was stolen. White told the Star Tribune Wednesday that he's completely innocent in the matter and felt like the university punished him for something he didn't do.
The Minneapolis city attorney's office announced Wednesday that it will review White's case for possible charges, according to spokesman Matt Laible. That process could take up to a "month."
In the video, White called the accusations against him "ridiculous."
He added: "People don’t understand the pressure it puts on my family," he said. "It’s hurtin’ me that they’re hurtin'."
White said he's not going to transfer to play for another program.
His YouTube page cites Mark 8:36 from the Bible: "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
© 2016 Star Tribune