10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- July 28, 2014 - 8:20 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. ISRAEL WARNS OF ESCALATION IN GAZA
"What is coming will be worse," the Israeli military declares — even as the international community calls for a truce.
2. OBAMA MULLS UNILATERAL ACTION ON IMMIGRATION
The White House is considering granting work permits to potentially millions of immigrants in the country illegally.
3. JUDGE CLEARS WAY FOR SALE OF LA CLIPPERS
The ruling is a defeat for Donald Sterling, who sought to block his estranged wife from selling the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion.
4. RUSSIA ORDERED TO PAY $50 BILLION PENALTY
An international court decides that Putin's government used tax claims to bury the country's largest oil producer and silence its Kremlin-critical CEO.
5. HOW PEOPLE IN MOSUL THWARTED ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS
Fearing the destruction of an ancient minaret in the northern Iraqi city, residents rushed to the site and formed a human chain to protect it, two witnesses tell the AP.
6. VIRGINIA'S BAN ON SAME-SEX UNIONS RULED UNCONSTITUTIONAL
The decision is the first federal appeals court ruling overturning gay marriage bans in the South.
7. WHOSE BOTTOM LINE LOOKS BRIGHTER
Medicare should be solvent until 2034, four years later than had been projected, the U.S. government says.
8. FUGITIVE DIES IN SHOOTOUT WITH NYC POLICE
The man — whose case was featured recently on CNN's "The Hunt with John Walsh" — was wanted in California for allegedly molesting a boy.
9. DOLLAR TREE BUYING FAMILY DOLLAR — FOR LOTSA DOLLARS
The $8.5 billion deal makes Dollar Tree the biggest player in the dollar store segment, with more than 13,000 combined locations.
10. WHY 'SHARKNADO 2' IS MUST-SEE TV
The sequel, coming Wednesday, is wiser than the original and unabashedly awash with fun, the AP's Frazier Moore reports.
© 2016 Star Tribune