Getting to know: Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr
- Blog Post by: Master Tesfatsion
- May 12, 2014 - 2:22 PM
Name: Anthony Barr
- Started the last two seasons at linebacker after playing running back and pistol F-back his first two seasons at UCLA.
- Ranked second in the country with four fumbles recovered, fifth with five forced fumbles, nine with 20 tackles for loss and 18th with 10 sacks.
- Finished as a two-time All-Pac 12 first team linebacker, 2013 All-America first team by seven publications and a 2013 finalist for the Butkus, Lombardi and Bednarik awards.
- Ranked 50th overall prospect by Rivals.com out of Los Angeles Loyola High in 2010.
- His father, Tony Brooks, played fullback at Notre Dame and was a fourth-round selection by the Eagles in 1992.
On if he thought he’d be a top-10 pick after making the transition to defense
“No, a couple of years ago I could never envision myself standing here talking in front of you guys. It’s been a pretty incredible journey. A lot of work, a lot of dedication has gone into that. I really think my coaches at UCLA and my teammates helped me along the way, and I’m just very happy to be here.”
On if he had a good idea where he’ll go during the draft
“I wasn’t too sure. I knew when I was here on my visit a couple of weeks ago there was some level of comfort. I felt like I had a pretty good trip, and my meetings went well. I felt that if I were to become a Viking it would be a great fit for me, but at the end of the day I still wasn’t too sure exactly where I was going to go.”
On what skillset he thinks will fit in well with head coach Mike Zimmer’s defense
“Well, I just think that I’m a tough football player, very competitive. I think anywhere they end up placing me on the field I will be able to make an impact for the team.”
© 2017 Star Tribune