10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- April 14, 2014 - 8:10 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. WHAT OBAMA TOLD PUTIN ABOUT UKRAINE
In a phone call, he advises his Russian counterpart that while a diplomatic solution to the crisis is still possible, Moscow's actions aren't helping.
2. VICTIMS OF 'HATE CRIME' IDENTIFIED
Though the gunman targeted a Jewish community center and retirement complex near Kansas City, none of the three people killed turned out to be Jewish.
3. WHY APRIL 15 ISN'T MUCH OF A DEADLINE
Penalties for filing federal tax returns late apply only to people who owe money — and about three-fourths of filers are due refunds.
4. IN NIGERIA BOMBING, NO CLAIM OF RESPONSIBILITY
But the country's president blames the terrorist network Boko Haram for the blast at a bus station in the capital that killed at least 72 and wounded scores.
5. POLICE: UTAH WOMAN ALLEGEDLY ADMITS KILLING SIX BABIES
Megan Huntsman, 39, tells police she either strangled or suffocated them immediately after they were born. What's not clear is why.
6. SYRIAN TROOPS SWEEP THROUGH REBEL STRONGHOLDS
The collapse of opposition fighters along a key supply route helps strengthen Assad's hand ahead of the country's presidential elections.
7. NSA LEAK STORIES EARN PULITZER FOR WASHINGTON POST, GUARDIAN
The disclosures revealed that the government has systematically collected information about millions of Americans' phone calls and emails.
8. HOW A SNACK MIGHT PREVENT DOMESTIC STRIFE
Low blood sugar can make spouses irritable, researchers say, so a candy bar could stave off fights between husbands and wives.
9. SPACEX LAUNCH DELAYED
A helium leak forces the space station cargo ship to remain Earthbound for now.
10. WHO'S DIVING BACK INTO THE POOL
Michael Phelps, the 22-time Olympic medalist, is coming out of retirement to focus on swimming at a fifth Summer Games in 2016.
© 2017 Star Tribune