Chart: How to jump-start Mille Lacs
- Article by: DENNIS ANDERSON
- Star Tribune
- January 18, 2014 - 5:49 PM
dnr Mille Lacs recover plan
• Consider liberalizing smallmouth bass and northern pike bag limit restrictions to reduce predation of young walleyes.
• Protect young walleyes with angling regulations.
• Engage outside experts to help analyze Mille Lacs’ walleye-tagging study results.
• Establish a panel of fisheries experts from the University of Minnesota, Michigan State, Cornell and the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources to help guide resurgence of Mille Lacs walleyes.
• Consider establishing a new public input process with Mille Lacs-area citizens and resort and business owners.
• Establish a high level of communication with tribal leaders, including heightened cooperation between tribal and DNR law enforcement officers.
© 2015 Star Tribune