Pipes burst in two Burnsville-Eagan-Savage buildings

  • Blog Post by: $author
  • January 7, 2014 - 4:23 PM

Blame the polar vortex -- and get out the mops.

Freezing temperatures have caused pipes to burst in two District 191 buildings in the last 48 hours.

A pipe broke Tuesday morning at Diamondhead Education Center in Burnsville, resulting in large amounts of water flowing on the main floor of the building's west side. The water also leaked through the ceiling to the lower level, according to a district statement.

The dance studio, a meeting room and main-level offices were affected, along with four classrooms in the Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) area. ECSE will stay open, but some classes will be held elsewhere in the building temporarily.

In addition, Adult Basic Education classrooms, the Burnsville Senior Center and some offices were damaged downstairs.

As a result, Adult Basic Education classes are cancelled this week, as are Community Education enrichment classes held at Diamondhead.

Currently, the district is cleaning up the damaged areas, which may include replacing the drywall and carpet in parts of the building, said Glenn Simon, director of operations and properties, in a district statement.

A pipe also burst at Eagle Ridge Junior High in Savage on Sunday night. The break happened in the lower level boiler room, with water spreading into the gym. Gym classes will be held in other parts of the building until the gym is ready for use, said Principal Don Leake in a district statement.

© 2018 Star Tribune