Justin Morneau rounds third base after hitting a 2-run homer in the third inning of Tuesday night's game against the White Sox.
Carlos Gonzalez, Star Tribune
Justin Morneau's Twins timeline
- August 31, 2013 - 5:12 PM
Justin Morneau career timeline
- Third-round pick (89th overall) by the Twins in the 1999 MLB draft
- Participated for the World Team in the 2002 and ’04 MLB Futures Game
- Major league debut: June 10, 2003
- First career hit: June 10, 2003 off Colorado’s Jason Jennings
- First career home run: June 17, 2003 off Kansas City’s Albie Lopez
- 2006 American League MVP after batting .321 with 34 home runs and 130 RBIs. Morneau earned 15 of the 28 votes, with the Yankees’ Derek Jeter picking up 12 and Twins pitcher Johan Santana one.
- Four-time All-Star (2007-10)
- July 6, 2007: Hits career home runs Nos. 100, 101 and 102 in a 12-0 romp over the White Sox in Chicago, his only three-home run game.
- Jan 25, 2008: Signs a six-year, $80 million contract
- 2008 Home Run Derby champion. Morneau also scored the winning run on sa sacrifice fly in the 15th inning of the All-Star Game the next night.
- October 2008: Played in all 163 games for the Twins, batted .300 with 23 home runs and 129 RBI. He finishes second in Most Valuable Player balloting to Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox.
- July 7, 2010: Accidentally kneed in the head by Toronto infielder John McDonald on a play at second base. Morneau did not play again the rest of the season while dealing with post-concussion syndrome.
- March 8, 2011: Morneau plays in a B-squad game against Pittsburgh, his first on-the-field action after the concussion.
- May 1, 2011: Hits first home run after the concussion against Kansas City.
- Played just 69 games in 2011 while dealing with a myriad of injuries, including another concussion.
- August 6, 2012: Hits career home runs Nos. 199 and 200 in a 14-3 victory over the Indians in Cleveland.
- August 30, 2013: Hits a game-winning home run for the Twins in Texas of Yu Darvish in the seventh inning right after rookie Chris Herrmann homered to tie the game.
- August 31, 2013: Traded to the Pirates.
© 2016 Star Tribune