10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- January 9, 2013 - 5:32 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1.WHERE THE NRA IS FOCUSING GUN RIGHTS FIGHT
The group is opposing Obama's judicial nominees seen as likely to enforce stronger gun control laws.
2. MONTHS OF PREPARATION FOR THE COLORADO THEATER SHOOTING
Police testified James Holmes bought tear gas grenades two months before the rampage that killed 12 and chemicals to booby-trap his apartment.
3. A SYRIAN PRISONER SWAP
Rebels freed 48 Iranians held captive since August for more than 2,000 Syrians in what appeared to be the first prisoner swap of the civil war.
4. HOTTEST. YEAR. EVER.
U.S. temperatures were off the charts during 2012, a year marked by drought and a barely there winter.
5. WHAT THE US SEES IN PHOTOS OF MISSING INVESTIGATOR
Intelligence officials tell the AP Iran was behind images and video sent to the family of ex-FBI agent Robert Levinson, who disappeared in 2007.
6. SIRI, WHAT SHOULD I WATCH?
TVs of the future will respond to voice commands, allowing viewers to chuck the remote.
7. ARMSTRONG AGREES TO TALK ABOUT DOPING
The interview with Oprah Winfrey addressing charges he used performance-enhancing drugs throughout his career will air Jan. 17.
8. WHY YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF KANAKANAVU
There are only 10 speakers on the planet of the aboriginal language from Taiwan.
9. TWITTER EXPLODES OVER `BAMA QB'S GIRLFRIEND
Ex-Miss Alabama Katherine Webb now has more followers than boyfriend AJ McCarron after ESPN cameras lingered on her at the championship game.
10. WHO'S NOMINATED FOR THE BRITISH `OSCARS'
"Lincoln" led with 10 nominations, "Les Miserables" and "Life of Pi" nabbed nine each in the British Academy Film Awards race.
© 2016 Star Tribune